Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pearisburg to trail days

Hello All,,
My last update was Bland,, roughly 45 miles ago.
Since then I've only done three days of hiking. 19, 15 and 10
I got into Pearisburg at around 2 o'clock on Monday and made the trek down to the town.. I first stopped at Dairy Queen and then hiked up to the Holy Family Hostel. It's actually the first Catholic Hostel that I've seen on the trail and it was a really nice place. The first night it was only myself and one other hiker Maple who were there...

The next morning Red Kielty, Stryder and Green Dog and Ikabob showed up. The first night most people were downtown in hotels drinking and while a beer is always hard to pass up.. the quietness of a Hostel practically to yourself was a really nice break. That first monday night I actually walked over to the Wal-Mart and noticed that a girls high school soccer game was going on... and so I went over and watched the end of the second half. It was actually pretty enjoyable to sit down,, get some Nachos and just watch a game... It brought back some good memories of the sports that I played growing up. It got my mind off of the trail and it was just a really good break from the AT Normality.

The next day (tuesday) I woke up and went to say Hi to Father John. I only was planning on saying a quick hello,, but He ended up talking to me for about an Hour.
He was a nice guy, but by the time I left and he gave me a blessing.. I had a terrible headache,, so As I was walking back towards downtown and the Trail... I turned around went back tot he hostel,,, took a couple of iBprofines and took a nap.. By the time I woke up it was 4 o'clock and there was no point in leaving town.

So I stayed there last night and TODAY (WEDNESDAY) I'm sticking around again because in order to get a hitch down to Damascus for trail days... this is the best Option.

So it will be 6 Straight Days of NO HIKING. :( !!!!!!!!.... I was contemplating not going to trail days after something came up and my initial ride down there was not able to come... but I know that I would regret not going... This is once in a lifetime thing that I'm doing and to skip Trail Days ( a festival for "me") so I can hike a couple more miles just doesn't make sense to me at all. So I'm in the process of trying to figure out either splitting a shuttle down there or trying to hitch it... I'm going to Damascus Tomorrow and I'm excited for a Weekend of Fun and meeting up with friends that I've passed or that have passed me.

Cherish the Day

Kashmir

No comments:

Post a Comment