Friday, March 5, 2010

Made it to the start.

So I'm here down in Amicalola Falls State Park,, original plan was to hike the approach trail this morning 8 miles to the top of Springer and then my parents were going to pick me up at the top and I would have the first 8 out of the way and then start Sunday,,, However Trecherous snow and ice is preventing cars from reaching the summit and they would not have been able to come a pick me up..

new plan is to start Sunday Morning after some presentations on Saturday, one by Gene Espy,, the second man to ever walk the entire trail. It should be pretty interesting.

So I'm leaving early sunday and I'm probably not going to have Internet access for another 4 or 5 days. it's just about ready to kick off and I can't wait,, I did a short 1 mile hike this morning and i'm ready for more.... (i think) =)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! We were reading about the snow over there and hoping you and the Austins were doing well! I hope things calm down and you start your hike off great! Good luck and can't wait to follow you as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,, yeah I wasn't in contact with them,, but the ranger said that he drove them up to the top of Springer in a 4x4 truck.... but that ranger was one of the only ones that was able to make it up to the top.. I'm starting tomorrow morning,,
    The hiking confrence today was Fantastic,,,I passed out some business cards about hikestrong,,and I got to meet Gene Epsy,, and the hiker authors AWOL, Skywalker and Model T, a rep for ALDHA Gray Jay as well some 2003 hike "sir hikes alot" I believe was his name,, all really great, friendly People. It was just a lot of great folks down hear and the presentations were helpful and I got some last minute snipets of advice....

    Tomorrow comes the Adventure, Soooo excited

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe
    Glad you got underway! Angie and I enjoyed meeting you and wish you the best. If you need anything while still on the south end of the trail PLEASE drop us a line. We've got your back.......... go get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome,,, thanks,, and I was wrong Digeredude and Doodlebug did do the approach, the guy at the station got them confused for someone else,,, I passed them at Low Gap and chatted for about 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete