Sunday, April 18, 2010

Next Stop... Virginia

Hey Everyone... sorry that it's been a while since my last post.
I didn't go into the Library in Hot Springs to do a blog update so I have not checked in since Standing Bear...
Wow.. that seems ages ago and it really was
This past Week has been a roller coaster of emotions and advancements.

The roughly 60 mile section of the trail from Hot Springs to Erwin TN (where I am at right now) was probably my most difficult yet. There was the fact that I was aiming to get out of Hot Springs on Saturday and didnt' end up doing a full day until Monday... so that got me back a ways.. and the hike out of there seemed to be strikingly difficult. The days were Hot and the terrain was dry and the hiking just didn't seem fun. The realization that I am going to have to increase my pace Big time if I am going to finish on time was sort of playing on my mind and mixed with what I assuming was a spout of Deyhdration just doesn't make for a good hike. I went 11 miles on my Worst day which was Thursday. The next day however,,after some powerades at a Gas Station I went ahead and had my biggest day yet 18 miles... It was just strange how you can go from almost no energy to feeling Great.

Anyway I made it into Erwin (mile number 340) very early yeasterday and Spent the day taking the free shuttles into town for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner.... then I did my First SlackPack of my AT thru-hike existence.

It was about 15 bucks alltogether and that afforded me a day where I hiked 20.2 miles with only about 4 or 5 pounds instead of my 40ish lb regular pack. They shuttled about 5 of us ahead 20 miles and then we hiked South back to Uncle Johnnys hostel,,starting at 8 and getting back at 4:30 in time for the Dinner shuttle at 6 o'clock.
Some may question the purist nature of a Slack Pack but I say it was soooooo worth it. The diference between a full pack and the latter is truly night and day.
It was the easiest day hiking yet and also my longest day yet.

Anyway that puts me at mile 360. with a LONG LONG was to go. But the weather is supposed to be clear the next few days and soon the flatter terrain of Virginia will appear. These next couple of weeks will hopefully see bigger mileage days but at the moment I've came to the conclusion not to worry too much about the Miles, I'm just goign to continue enjoying the journey. I've now had two full, stomach stuffing meals two nights in a row and I did twenty miles today which Felt Like a stroll in the park. tomorrows goal is 19 (I think) to Overmountain shelter and then after that I actually foget what's next,,, a Bed and Breakfast inbetween Damascus and then it's just more of the same.... Following the White Blazes... Another Day in the Woods = another good day.

Things are looking okay.
Later,
Kashmir

ALSO Yeasterday I bought some cheap Clippers at the Dollar General and Shaved off ALL OF MY HAIR!!!!!!!!!!! except my beard.
I'll post a picture in time,, this computer that I'm on at the moment is kind of old
I look different, kind of "tougher" but people said they like it and I kind of do as well. It was just too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment